Like why, really?
You would think we’d have a comprehensive answer all rehearsed and stored for the many occasions that we’re asked ‘why are you guys vegans?’ We don’t! I don’t think one or the other has made the other a vegan either but rather we have grown, experienced, travelled and become more aware together over the past 10 years and realised that a vegan diet is a no brainer for us. So you could say we feel pretty lucky.
Anyhow, the most recent questioning has spurred us to put our collective reasons down and in turn has allowed us to reflect and truly appreciate the many gifts and blessings a plant based life style has allowed. Never turning back. Here goes and in no particularly order 😉
Why we eat a plant-based diet:
1. Humans really don’t need meat or dairy:
Plants provide a source of protein, fats, calcium, vitamins…EVERYTHING we need.
2. The huge global impact on the environment really hits hard when you get a few facts under your belt:
- Cows and sheep are responsible for 37% of the total methane generated by human activity and more than 1/3 of the world’s grain harvest is to feed livestock (Vegetarian Society))
- Livestock generates more greenhouse gas emissions than all the cars, trucks, trains, ships, and planes in the world combined (United Nations, 2006)
- A typical pig factory generates the same amount of raw waste as a city of 12,000 people. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, raising animals for food is the number-one source of water pollution (Peta)
- One study estimated that the farming of animals caused more emissions (18%) than the world’s entire transport system (13.5%). (Vegetarian society)
- If everyone went vegetarian just for one day, the U.S. would save 1.5 billion pounds of crops otherwise fed to livestock (Huffington Post)
- If every American skipped one meal of chicken per week by substituting with vegetarian foods instead, the carbon dioxide savings would be the same as taking more than half a million cars off of U.S. roads. (Environmental Defence)
3. We have bundles more energy and a body that runs way more efficiently.
4. Consuming meat & dairy is just flat out cruel. I gotta say “Earthlings’ (http://goodnessgreen.com/resources/) was a real personal turning point for us. Meat & Fish are killed cruelly in the most awful conditions and their innocent lives are taken with such ease and cruelness To me, killing animals so that I can eat just seems such an extreme thing to do. We have the same feelings with regards to dairy farming which is not only abusive and cruel but with a resulting product which is packed full of hormones and infections.
5. Better Health! Hello, don’t I know it. I can whole heartedly say that since being vegan I haven’t gotten ill once, not even a sniffle – not bad when you consider I work in a packed office full of the season’s coughs and wheezes! However it has been proven that a plant based lifestyle can have greater health benefits than warding off cold and flu:
- Numerous studies highlight again and again the lower rates of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and overall mortality of those on plant based diets. Can’t argue with science ;-).
- It’s a fact that factory farmed animals are fed a myriad of artificial hormones and antibiotics that have a detrimental impact on human hormone balances which cause endless health issues including developmental problems, reproductive problems, and cancer.
- Scientific research has shown that plant based diets not only prevent heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis and cancer but can in fact reverse these, thus highlighting the powerful effects of plants.
6. It’s political:
The dairy industries of the world are largely funded by governments and the brainwashing of educational institutions & manipulative advertising are just two ways dairy reigns supreme.
7. Never need to diet, ever:
Numerous studies highlight the link between the consumption of meat and obesity. Eating a real plant based diet means there is never any need to ‘diet’ because you wont get fat, this is a lifestyle.
8. It just feels good and so do we:
Plant based makes you much happier, really. It’s more than a diet but a lifestyle of peace and mindful living. It makes me a better, happier and calmer person.
9. You actually end up eating more REAL food thus gaining greater control and insight into what goes into that precious body.
10. Oh and it saves you money which means more money for good wine!
Apologies if the science bit got heavy, we just think these facts are powerful informers but please do see our resources page (http://goodnessgreen.com/resources/) for the real science and research about the deal on plant based lifestyles – they put it soooo much better than us. Peace.